Being a doctor is looked up to by many. And for good reason because doctors do the noblest of jobs, being of service to other people and ensuring that they maintain a good level of health. Health is not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. However unknown to a lot of people are the struggles that doctors go through each day. The demands of the work are numerous and the stress levels are very high. It is therefore not surprising when doctors opt to try an alternative career even just for a short while to relieve them of their burdens.
For doctors, it easy to find an alternative path because they have honed many different skills during the years they were training. Aside from proficiency in the medical field, they also have good communication skills, are able to work with teams and able to feel empathy for others. With these set of skills, the choices are numerous. Here are some of the careers open to them:
- Teaching. Being a doctor allows one to be in the field of the academe. As a teacher, he can choose to teach the basic sciences or train the students with the specialized skills they need to know before going to the hospital.
- Medical writing. Because of their expertise, they can go into research and publish all different kinds of paper relating to medicine. This can be in the field of pharmacy, epidemiology or even public health.
- Pharmaceutical advisers. They can give expert advice as to which drug is currently needed by the patients and need to be developed.
- Law. They can further their studies and be what is known as a medicolegal or a lawyer that is an expert in the field of medicine and forensic.
- Politics. They can run for position and make an effect by creating policies that would benefit the health of many.
- Soldier. They can attend basic military training and serve in the army and heal the wounded soldiers.
- Volunteer. They can also join expeditions and help in the outreach programs for typhoon and flood victims or go further and be health practitioners in developing countries.
As you can see, with their skills and characteristics such as integrity and self-denying service and with their ability to cope with stress, they can be anything and still effect a change in the world. Indeed, they are people to look up to and deserve respect and admiration.